Tuesday, July 29, 2008

A visit to the vet

A bit of background, when I first got Orion I took him to my sister's vet as she said they were very good and when she had mentioned that her sister (me) was getting a munchkin the vet was wanting to see it. So we booked in and went to the vet. However, when we got there while the receptionist was very nice but the vet did not seem to like Orion (different vet from the one my sister normal goes to as its a fairly major animal hospital) but I think she was more into dogs and just not into cats in general but made me feel a bit weird about having a pet that was brought up from down south.

A side note, because Darwin is mostly a dog city, and people who do have cats tend to let them out during the day. So the general level of vaccination recommended is higher here in Darwin and Orion needed to be brought up to speed so he needed three visits to the vet.

But we went back for the next injection and got a different vet, this vet was nicer and liked cats in general, however when I mentioned at the end of the visit I was getting a Bengal as well, I got a look like I was from another planet... Maybe because both of my cats are considered designer cats? Was not a nice feeling.

By the time Orion was due his thrid injection we were staying with my mother-in-law due to moving and I did not want to take Orion back to that vet ... So we went to a different vet close by and it was great! They had heard of Munchkins before and really liked Orion and were very friendly. However, they are very far away (40 minute drive) from our new house and Orion really hate being in the car.

Anyway there is a small vet around the corner from our new house and Akiba needed his next injection. Since my sisters cats had been sick we decided to take Orion to the vet as well to get a check up. I could not make it as I had to be at work but OH took the cats and just called to give me an update.

The verdict is in and they are great! The vet knows of Munchkins and has seen Bengals before! From what my husband said the receptionist wanted to adopt Orion and thought Akiba was great. The vet really liked both cats and was very helpful chatting to OH about Orion (he's fine!) and even was good about giving Akiba his injection that he did not want >.< She was not able to take his temp though as he just was very vocal about that!

All that just to say I really like my new vet! But after the first difficulties I just cannot say how happy I am to have a good vet who likes my cats. Akiba needs to go back for another injection and when he does we will prob just take Orion down for a visit.

2 comments:

  1. I'm really pleased you've found a vet that you're happy with.

    I totally don't blame you for shopping around - if the vet isn't a cat lover then they certainly don't deserve our money and support.

    I met a vet once locally, years ago, that had a dreadful bedsidfe manner with my cat (and he got bit as a result) and I must have told 20-30 people about how bad a vet he was.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah a good vet makes a big difference!

    ReplyDelete