Sunday, September 14, 2008

Show Day Wrap-up

An early start for the cat show, but I had prepared everything the day before so all was left to do was get ready and gather the kitties.

As always they complained in the car... Orion is teaching Akiba bad habits so now Akiba cannot do on a car trip without meowing the whole time too.

But once we arrived they were quiet, while OH lined up for the vet check I ran around getting curtains and finishing up the cages. Orion had white curtains and his baby blue rug, Akiba had bright purple cutains with a yellow pooh bear rug.

After they were vet checked into the cages they went. Akiba was pretty good about it all. Sort of did a walk around, then looked at me to let me know he was not impressed and then sat down with a humpf. Orion was most unimpressed as well but gave me a heartbreaking look then hid under his blanket.

I chatted and walked around, then the judging started and my nerves went crazy. I had fears of Akiba going nuts and clawing the judges and Orion being treated badly as the judges would not know what to do with a Munchkin!

But as the day wore on the judges looked over my boys and nothing went wrong. The judges were very nice to Orion and took the time to talk about the Munchkin as a breed while they were looking at him. Akiba did not scratch anyone! Though I do have to say he yollwed the whole time he was being handled, but thats just him. One of the judges took the time to explain to the crowed that while it sounds agressive, it's not and he is just talking. It's nice when people understand your cat.

After then judging I just wanted to take the boys and go home, it felt like the day had gone forever and I was exhursted. But the show must go on ... After chatting to people who were interested in Bengals and Munchkins for what seemed like hours (and it probably was) they had the results!

Akiba came up all three times! I dont know a lot about cat shows but they were three judges and they were in what they call rings. Anyway out of 20ish kittens Akiba ranked 5th, 3rd, 5th! Which was really exciting! So we waited around for the award presentation which seemed to take forever to start! But finally they awards were given and while they could not pronounce his name Akiba seemed to know he was being talked about and everytime I went up he seemed to be watching me.

Special note Best Cat in the Show was a entire Bengal male.

After all the awards were give we gathered up the babies and headed home. There was an afternoon tea but I was exhursted and just wanted to get the babies out of the cages. I felt pretty bad about even putting them in the cages. But once we got home the boys were fine and showed no signs of complaint.

My sister is now keen to enter her domestic into the next show, so I will prob do it again at least one more time. My boys are most definetly pets first but it's nice that other people appreciate them for the wonderful cats they are.

2 comments:

  1. Fantastic! Congratulations.. Can we have more cutesy photos please? :-)

    Did you get any rosettes for the 3rd place?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have just gotten my new camera! So I have been busy taking photos and will be posting heaps more in the future.

    Yes we got a ribbon for 3rd (I will get a photo of him posing with it soon and post) though I think we should have gotten 2 more for 5th (other catagories did but apparently they forgot/lost the kitten ribbons!)

    ReplyDelete